The delicious flavor of this loaf improves after standing for 24 hours. From the Western section of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Institute of Chicago, 1947
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Combine the first three ingredients in a bowl, cover and let cool.
- 2Grease a loaf pan.
- 3Sift dry ingredients together.
- 4Beat sugar and egg together and add to dates, alternatively with the sifted ingredients.
- 5Dredge nuts in a small amount of flour and stir into batter.
- 6Pour into prepared pan, let rise for 20 minutes.
- 7While batter is rising, preheat oven to 325°F.
- 8Bake for 50 to 60 minutes.
- 9Turn out onto cooling rack to cool.
- 10Serve sliced very thin for sandwiches, spread with cream cheese or butter.
Browse Our Top Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for 1947 Date Nut Bread
Serving Size: 1 (83 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 248.8
- Calories from Fat 67
- Total Fat 7.5 g
- Saturated Fat 1.5 g
- Cholesterol 20.1 mg
- Sodium 247.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 42.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.7 g
- Sugars 22.5 g
- Protein 5.0 g