Prep 45 mins
Cook 30 mins
- 3 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 1 1⁄3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into 6 pieces
- 3⁄4 cup boiling water
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 6 tablespoons sour cream or 6 tablespoons buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- Butter two 9-inch round cake pans; line bottoms with parchment paper or waxed paper.
- Position a rack in the middle of the oven; preheat to 350°.
- Melt chocolate in a large heatproof bowl set over hot, but not simmering water; let cool.
- In a bowl, stir the flour, baking soda, and salt together; mix well.
- Add the butter to the chocolate, then pour in the boiling water; stir well to mix.
- Whisk in the sugar and sour cream.
- Stir in the flour mixture; whisk in the eggs.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pans; smooth the tops.
- Bake for about 25-30 minutes or until test done—toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool in pans on racks for 5 minutes; then unmold onto racks to finish cooling.
- **Recommend to frost with fluffy white frosting or whipped ganache.