Prep 30 mins
Cook 25 mins
Recipe taken from a newspaper clipping dated 1937
- 2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 5 tablespoons shortening
- 2⁄3 cup milk
- 1 egg, well beaten
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 1 pint fresh strawberries
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- whipped cream
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Thinly slice strawberries, toss with sugar, & slightly crush. Set aside.
- Sift together flour, salt, and baking powder; cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Stir in milk and egg. Mix lightly.
- Grease 11x8-inch baking pan. Divide dough in half; roll each piece out to fit baking pan.
- Place 1st portion of rolled out dough in greased pan; brush with melted butter.
- Place the remaining portion of rolled out dough onto the first one and brush with more melted butter.
- Bake until browned, about 25 minute Let cool then cut into 8 serving pieces.
- For each shortcake, split cake portion and spread sweetened, slightly crushed strawberries between and on top of split cake. Serve with whipped cream.
Wonderful! Took a little elbow grease, but well worth it---and just like my grandmother used to make!