Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This recipe is from the 1931 Searchlight cookbook.
- 3 cups sugar
- 1⁄4 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 cups coconut
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- 3 tablespoons cocoa
- 1⁄2 cup chopped nuts
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Combine sugar and cocoa.
- Add milk and water.
- Boil to soft ball stage (234-238).
- Cool to room temp.
- Add coconut and nuts.
- Add butter and flavoring.
- Beat until mixture begins to thicken.
- Drop onto waxed paper by tablespoonfuls.
- This is an old recipe and dosen't give cooking time,I'm posting how long it takes me.
Though I followed the recipe to the letter, the resulting candy was a little grainy and the sugar overpowered the coconut.