Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
I tore this recipe out of Family Circle. I have not tried it yet but it sounded very easy to do. Would be great topped with vanilla ice cream
- 1 refrigerated pie crust (1/2 package)
- 1 1⁄4 cups light brown sugar, packed
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts, chopped
- 3 granny smith apples, peeled, cored and thinly sliced
- Heat oven to 450°F
- Fit pie crust into a 9 inch pie plate.
- Prick with a fork and crimp edges.
- Bake about 11 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool completely.
- In a large bowl, beat 1 cup of the brown sugar and the flour, butter and walnuts together until crumbly, set aside.
- Arrange half of the apple slices in crust.
- Sprinkle remaining 1/4 cup of sugar on top.
- Add remaining apple slices and top with crumb mixture.
- Reduce oven heat to 350F and bake pie 1 hour or until browned.
i make this often and everyone loves it! i add 1 tablespoon of cinnamon to the dry mixture and use a variety of apples... sooo awesome
We loved this pie. I did add in 1 tsp. cinnamon with the brown sugar, and used 3/4 c. flour instead of the cup listed, and I used 4 lg. apples and it was perfect! I also squeezed in juice from half a lemon. Thank you for this yummy old fashioned pie!
this was pretty good but not nearly enough apples, I would suggest mabey five, also I think there is a little too much flour for the crumb mixture, I will make again but with some alterations, thanks Mary!