Prep 20 mins
Cook 55 mins
The orange extract is optional, but it makes an ice complement to the flavor of the cake. Another from my "Forgotten Recipes" cookbook. Sounds good!
- 2 cups sifted cake flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 egg yolks, beaten till thick and lemon-colored
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla or 1⁄2 teaspoon orange extract
- Sift your flour, and then measure, and then add the baking powder, and sift the flour and powder together three times.
- Cream the butter well; slowly add the sugar, and cream till the mixture is light and fluffy.
- Add the beaten egg yolks, mixing well.
- Alternated adding the flour mixture with the milk, a little at a time, beating well after each addition.
- When the batter is smooth, add the flavoring and beat well.
- Pour the finished batter into a well greased 8-inch square baking pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 50 to 60 minutes.
Thank you! I used to make this cake fairly often, as I had another recipe that required only 3 egg WHITES. This was the perfect way to use the leftover yolks. I had it from an old, old cooking encyclopedia of my mom's that I've long since lost in a move, but I know it was just exactly this recipe. I like this rich, golden cake. Again, thanks!