Recipe by foodtvfan
Another golden oldie from a recipe card, originally from a 1905 Blue Ribbon cook book. Any fruit is good but some tart fruit is necessary. You can add cherries or seedless grapes if you like. It is a great all-year-round recipe with fruits that are usually readily available. If fresh pineapple is not available use canned sliced pineapple or canned pineapple chunks. Add the banana and the apple just before serving to prevent browning.
Top Review by Sydney Mike
Although I pretty much followed the recipe, I did change a couple of things ~ I left out the sugar, then used 1/3 cup of pineapple juice & 1/3 cup of orange juice for the dressing, AND I tossed the apple & banana in the juice before adding them, just to insure they wouldn't turn brown! All that for a great tasting dish of fruit both for breakfast & for a mid-morning snack! Delicious! [Tagged & made in Please Review My Recipe]
- 1 pink grapefruit or 1 white grapefruit
- 2 oranges
- 2 slices fresh pineapple, chopped
Just before serving
- 1 banana, sliced
- 1 apple, unpeeled and chopped
- 1⁄4 cup pineapple juice
- 3 tablespoons sugar (to taste)
Directions See How It's Made
- Remove segments from grapefruit and oranges, keeping segments whole or cutting into small pieces, as desired.
- Be sure that the membrane of the sections is removed. An easy way to remove this pith is to cut a slice off the top and bottom of the grapefruit or orange. Lay it flat on a cutting board. With a sharp knife peel from top to bottom all around the fruit, making sure to remove the white pith. Carefully remove segments in between the membrane and place in a mixing bowl.
- Cut pineapple into small pieces. Add to bowl.
- Add the dressing ingredients; pineapple juice and sugar to taste.
- Chill in individual dessert dishes or wide mouth wine glasses for presentation.
- Add banana and apple just before serving to prevent browning.