Recipe by Jo in Arlington
Had this at the Driskill Hotel, Austin, TX. Fantastic. I then Googled and found recipe published in the Texas Monthly October 2002. It makes quite a lot. Freezes well.
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup onion, minced
- 1⁄2 cup carrot, minced
- 1⁄2 cup celery, minced
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 4 cups milk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 lb Velveeta cheese, grated
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 pinch cayenne (to taste)
- 1 pinch paprika (to taste)
- 1 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- 1 teaspoon white pepper (to taste)
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt butter in large saucepan.
- Over med-high heat saute onion, carrots and celery until transulcent and tender, about 3 - 5 minutes.
- Stir in flour and cornstarch.
- Cook about 3-5 minutes.
- Add chicken stock and milk gradually, blending until smooth, and reduce by 1/4. Do not allow to come to boil. This takes awhile to reduce.
- Add baking soda and cheese and stir until melted and thickened, about 10 minutes.
- Add parsley, cayenne and Paprika.
- Keep soup warm over very low heat or in a double boiler if not using immediately.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.