Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This stew is very hearty. Great for when you have a large crowd. Add other vegetables as desired. The key to its flavor is a large amount of ham and the can of whole tomatoes. Do not add salt. The ham adds plenty! You can also make this with a thick ham slice.
- 1 (16 ounce) bag dried beans, soaked overnight in fridge, drained and rinsed (16 Beans)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 5 carrots, chopped
- 1 (28 ounce) can whole tomatoes
- 0.5 (16 ounce) bag frozen cut green beans, the 17th bean
- 1 tablespoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- leftover ham, Several Large chunks
- 1 ham hock, leftover, if desired (optional)
- water, to cover
- Combine all ingredients in large pan.
- Simmer 2 hours. Can also be be started on the stove and then baked in a dutch oven at 250 degrees F.
- Remove hock, pick off ham and add it back into stew. The more ham the better.