Prep 1 hr
Cook 15 mins
Chili Nation, Jane and Michael Stern; recipe of 16-Times World Champion bronco and bull rider Jim Shoulders.
- 6 whole dried ancho chiles
- 4 whole dried chipotle chiles
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 cup tomato sauce
- 1 cup flat beer
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon dried Mexican oregano
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 3 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon masa harina (dissolved in 1/2 cup water)
- 2 -3 lbs sirloin or 2 -3 lbs porterhouse steaks or 2 -3 lbs filet mignon
- Add chiles to a heatproof bowl and cover with boiling water; let stand 30 minutes, until soft.
- Meanwhile, in a small skillet, saute the garlic in oil until golden.
- Seed and stem the chiles; place in a food processor or blender.
- Add in tomato sauce, beer, ½ cup water, cumin, salt, oregano, Worcestershire sauce, brown sugar, and garlic.
- Puree thoroughly; transfer mixture to a saucepan.
- Stir in the masa harina mixture and bring to a simmer; cook 3-4 minutes.
- Preheat grill and grill steak to taste.
- At table, cut the steak into 1 ½ inch slices, and spoon chili puree over each serving of meat.