Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
My mother got this from her sister, Martha. It's a tried and true pickle recipe. It's very similar to 14 Day Unsealed Pickles on recipezaar. Sometimes I don't always have 2 gallons of cumcumbers but will make if I have gathered enough for 1 gallon but I go ahead and make the syrup and save it and use it on the next batch. Since the syrup has vinegar and sugar in it it will be alright and I don't even refrigerate this syrup.
- 2 gallons cucumbers
- 1 tablespoon alum
- 1 cup pickling salt
- 10 lbs sugar
- 2 quarts white vinegar
- 3 tablespoons pickling spices
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- Wash cucumbers.
- Cover with salt water (1 cup pickling salt to 1 gallon water).
- Let stand for a week.
- Keep scum off daily.
- Make sure pickles stay under water.
- Drain and cover with boiling water.
- Leave 24 hours.
- Drain, cut into slices and cover with boiling water again.
- Add 1 large tablespoon of alum.
- Let stand three days.
- Cover with boiling water again.
- Let stand overnight.
- Cover with syrup for four days.
- Syrup: 10 pounds of sugar, 2 quarts white vinegar, 3 tablespoons of Picking spice, a couple of sticks of cinnamon.
- Tie in a cheesecloth bag.
- Drop in sugar mixture and bring to a boil.
- Drain syrup and heat to boiling.
- Pack in hot jars on 4th day.
- Pour syrup over pickles and seal jars.
I had always heard of the 14 day pickles and I knew they were good and when I saw this I decided to try it . Iam so glad I did they are just great!! I made 4 rounds of them , they are so sweet with a touch of spice and very crunchy !!! My husband had never ate any and he loves them too ! I made some pint jars of spears and iam going to put a pretty cloth on the top of the jar and give as christmas gifts to my friends at church . I will make them again next year ...... thanks