Prep 30 mins
Cook 5 hrs
This is a great recipe to start in the morning and have ready when you come home. I love the packages with 16 kinds of beans...they make the best bean soup. They don't come with a prepackaged mix or anything like it sounds--the 16 bean soup mix is just a package of 16 kinds of beans. I didn't have turkey Italian sausage so I used regular spicy Italian sausage, and I added a couple potatoes just because I love them. Recipe is posted as written. Serving size is estimated. Recipe courtesy of www.lovetoknow.com
- 16 ounces beans (16 bean soup mix)
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon oregano, crushed
- 28 ounces chicken stock (non-fat)
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 3 carrots, diced
- 1 onion, chopped (large)
- 3 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1 lb Italian sausage, sliced (turkey)
- 29 ounces tomatoes (stewed or diced)
- Combine bean soup mix, bay leaves, oregano, chicken stock, and enough water to cover the beans by 1" to 2 " in crock pot.
- Cook on high for 2 hours.
- Add remaining ingredients and shift cooker to low. Cook for additional 3 hours.
- For more zing, add cayenne or crushed red pepper when adding second set of ingredients.
- Serve this as a complete meal or over rice if desired.
- Freezes well.
Deeeeelicious!!! I don't have a crockpot so I chopped the carrots, celery, onions and garlic and saute'd in a tsp of Olive Oil. Then added the oregano, bay leaves, beans, a 14oz can of Italian style diced tomatoes,a smoked ham hock and 8-10 cups of water [enough to cover the ham hock]. Brought it all to a boil and let it simmer. Meanwhile, I peeled the skin off one Italian sausage link & browned it, put it in my bullet and shredded it. I added it to the soup after about an hour of it simmering. Total simmering time...2-2 1/2hrs. Everyone couldn't stop raving! Thank you for sharing!
Great hearty soup on cold day. Beans needed all day in slow cooker...
OMG!!!! If you have stumbled upon this recipe, you have hit the jackpot! DELICIOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!