The quality of the chocolate used will affect the flavor and texture of the fudge. Ghirardelli semisweet and unsweetened chocolate is best for this recipe. Don't make this fudge without the peanuts; they are crucial to the texture. Peanuts can be toasted or not. Store the fudge, tightly wrapped in plastic, in a cool place for up to 2 weeks or in the freezer for 3 months. If frozen, allow ample time to let it reach room temperature before cutting. Makes 2.5lbs. Ingredients and instructions for Rocky Road version.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Cut 12-inch length extra-wide heavy-duty aluminum foil; fold edges back to form 7 1/2-inch width. With folded sides facing down, fit foil securely into bottom and up sides of 8-inch-square baking pan, allowing excess to overhang pan sides. Spray foil with nonstick cooking spray.
- 2Toss chocolates, baking soda, and salt in medium heatproof bowl until baking soda is evenly distributed. Stir in sweetened condensed milk and vanilla. Set bowl over 4-quart saucepan containing 2 cups simmering water. Stir with rubber spatula until chocolate is almost fully melted and few small pieces remain, 2 to 4 minutes. Do not melt the chocolate completely or the fudge may become greasy.
- 3Remove bowl from heat and continue to stir until chocolate is fully melted and mixture is smooth, about 2 minutes. Stir in marshmallows, peanuts, and chocolate chips. Transfer fudge to prepared pan and spread in even layer with spatula.
- 4Refrigerate until set, about 2 hours. Remove fudge from pan using foil and cut into squares. Let come to room temperature for a few minutes before serving.
- 5Walnut: Stir in 1 cup coarsely chopped walnuts instead of peanuts and marshmallows in step 3.
- 6Peanut Butter: Substitute 18 ounces peanut butter chips for chocolates in step 2 and omit walnuts. Can add 1 cup chopped salted toasted peanuts for crunch.
- 7The fudge is best to be eaten within a few days, because it will dry out as it sits. It can be stored tightly wrapped in the freezer, however, for up to three months.
- 8TO MAKE DOUBLE BATCH:.
- 9Line 13 by 9-inch pan with two sheets of foil placed perpendicular to each other and double amounts of all ingredients. In step 2, use large heatproof bowl and Dutch oven containing 4 cups simmering water.
Browse Our Top Candy Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Candy Recipes
Nutritional Facts for 15 Minute Fudge, 3 Kinds(Cook's Illustrated)
Serving Size: 1 (20 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 64
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 90.0
- Calories from Fat 62
- Total Fat 6.9 g
- Saturated Fat 3.4 g
- Cholesterol 2.0 mg
- Sodium 53.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 7.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.7 g
- Sugars 4.6 g
- Protein 2.4 g