Recipe by SusieQusie
This was paired with chicken enchiladas in a new cookbook that I have - The Best of America's Test Kitchen 2007. While the enchiladas didn't whet my appetite, the quick sauce caught my eye; namely, no chili powder as an ingredient. Looks simple enough for me.
Top Review by LARavenscroft
Made for 2008 All New Zaar Cookbooks Tag. This was pretty good, but not quite as spicy as we like. I really do like the idea of making my own enchilada sauce and if I make this one again I would add an additional chipotle chile. Used this with recipe #175749. Thanks for posting this Susie!
- 1 (29 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 chipotle chile in adobo, 1 pepper with sauce, not 1 can
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup low sodium chicken broth
Directions See How It's Made
- Whiz all ingredients except oil in a blender until smooth.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the tomato mixture, bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until mixture reduces to 3 1/2 cups, 8-10 minutes.
- Use with your favorite enchilada recipe or freeze for later use.
- NB - to adjust the heat level, the chipotle seeds can be left in or removed before blending.