Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
I made up this recipe myself, so hopefully it isn't a repeat. My husband loves this recipe, so I hope you do too! I can do it in under 15 minutes now which is great for those "I don't want to cook" nights. Try with my Northern cornbread!http://www.recipezaar.com/260739
- 1 lb lean ground beef or 1 lb ground turkey
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped into 1/2 inch pieces
- 14 ounces chili beans, in sauce
- 14 ounces petite diced tomatoes, undrained
- 8 ounces sliced mushrooms, drained
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 dash oregano
- cayenne pepper, easily substitute a packet of chili seasoning for the spices
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons sour cream
- Place ground beef and onions in a pot and fry until beef is no longer pink.
- Drain grease off beef and onion mixture.
- Place chili beans, tomatos, mushrooms and seasoning into chili.
- Bring to a boil and simmer 5 minutes to allow flavors to blend.
This was tasty and very easy to make....which gets 5 stars in my book! Made a few changes based on what I had....no mushrooms (my son isn't a fan anyway). I didn't have any chili beans in sauce....so used an undrained can of red kidney beans. And I also added a 8 oz can of tomato sauce. Will definitely make again.....perfect for those crazy nights when you gotta get something on the table ASAP. Thanks for sharing!
I made this on 9/04/09 for mine and SO's dinner.The recipe was changed a bit, so it would suit our tastes. Since I don't care for mushrooms, those were left out. The amounts of chili powder, cumin, and oregano were left as written. Instead of using the cayenne, Chili Seasoning Mix was used.I did let this simmer a bit longer than 5 minutes, just so the flavors would have more time to " meld ". I can't eat chili without cheese, so I added cheese and left off the sour cream. All and all not a bad chili recipe. Thanks for posting and, " Keep Smiling :) "
This was good and easy to make. I followed the recipe as written. I used ground turkey and didn't add the mushrooms, oregano or salt. This is a very mild chili. I added another teaspoon of chili powder and topped the servings with cheddar cheese instead of sour cream. We enjoyed this.