Recipe by Feast Your Eyes!
Stovetop skillet cooking is especially handy for quick meals. This dinner will only take a few minutes to prepare but it rewards with a big bold taste. Serve it up for a weekend meal along with a tossed green salad and you will have a sure winner.
Top Review by French Tart
Absolutley wonderful. a real winner for us! Quick, easy, tasty and on the table in a flash.......why bother making chili any other way! I had to adjust the heat, as my husband is a bit of a wimp when it comes to chili, but I just added some hot chili sauce on my plate! Served this with grated cheese, chopped green onions and tortilla chips.........DELICIOUS thanks! Made for PAC Autumn 2009 - such a wonderful recipe, thanks! FT:-)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup onion, chopped (divided)
- 1⁄2 cup green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 lb ground beef
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 (16 ounce) can whole tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup canned green beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup canned dark red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup canned black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
- 1⁄2 cup ketchup
- 1 1⁄2 ounces chili seasoning mix, mix (About 1 1/2 envelopes)
- red pepper flakes, to taste
- 2⁄3 cup water
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- corn chips, crumbled (Fritos )
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large, heavy-bottom skillet heat the oil over medium-high heat; add 1/2 cup onion and the bell pepper. Cook until soft.
- Crumble the ground beef and add to the skillet; combine with the onions and green peppers. Cook meat until well browned. Season with salt and pepper. Pour off excess meat drippings.
- Add the tomatoes, green beans, kidney beans and blackeye peas to the skillet; give a good stir to throughly combine.
- In a small mixing bowl add the ketchup, chili seasonings, red pepper flakes, and water; mix well.
- Add chili-ketchup mixture to skillet; mix well to incorporate flavors. Cook and stir for 5 - 7 minutes.
- Just before serving, sprinkle the remaining 1/2 cup chopped onion, and the shredded cheddar and corn chips over the top.
- A freshly tossed green salad and warm cornbread will make this meal complete.