1/4 Photos of 15 Bean Soup
southern chef in louisiana's Note:
Yummy 15 bean soup. I cook this a lot. I like to serve it with fried chicken and cornbread.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (1 lb) bag regular 15 bean soup mix or 1 (1 lb) bag cajun 15 bean soup mix
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (15 -30 ounce) can whole tomatoes, crushed
- 3 stalks celery leaves, included chopped
- 2 -3 ham hocks or 1 ham bone, with meat still on it
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary (crush with fingertips before adding this releases the flavor)
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes
- 1Wash the beans; put in large pot and cover with water. Bring to boil; stir and remove from heat. Cover and let sit 1 hour. After that hour, drain beans and set aside.
- 2Add oil to pot. Sauté your ham hocks, onion, and celery until tender.
- 3Next add garlic and sauté 2 minutes more.
- 4Add your beans and cover with water (about 2 inches over top of beans).
- 5Add tomatoes with the juice, parsley, rosemary, black pepper, bouillon cubes, and about 1 teaspoon of salt to start with.
- 6Mix well. Bring to boil; stir, reduce heat cover and simmer for 2 to 21/2 hours or until all the sizes of the beans are tender.
- 7Keep watching it and stirring it every once in a while. You may need to add more water; you want it to keep a consistency a little thicker than a soup.
- 8Taste it after it cooks--you may need more salt or pepper.
- 9During the last 15 minutes of cooking, add the flavor package that comes with the beans.
- 10Serve by itself or over rice.
Browse Our Top Pork Recipes
Nutritional Facts for 15 Bean Soup
Serving Size: 1 (78 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 45.3
- Calories from Fat 26
- Total Fat 2.9 g
- Saturated Fat 0.4 g
- Cholesterol 0.1 mg
- Sodium 204.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 4.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.1 g
- Sugars 2.2 g
- Protein 0.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
15 bean soup mix