Prep 10 mins
Cook 2 hrs
It's just plain yum. Easy too!
- 1 (16 ounce) package 15 bean soup mix (beans only)
- 8 ounces dried black-eyed peas
- 16 ounces butter beans (frozen)
- 1 ham bone, with some meat
- 1 bulb of garlic, pressed
- 2 onions, diced
- 1 lb carrot, peeled and sliced
- 6 stalks celery, sliced
- 1 (16 ounce) can tomatoes
- Bring ham bone to boil, covered completely with water.
- Add vegetables.
- Add dried beans.
- Add butter beans.
- Add enough water to cover beans with water by 2 inches if not already covered.
- Simmer for approximately 2 hours until beans are tender, stir occasionally.
- About 30 minutes before the 2 hours is up, throw leftover veggies, rice and meat from the fridge into the pot. It will be fine!
- You want them to come to a boil and simmer a while. It's the old poem. Peas porridge hot, peas porridge cold, peas porridge in the pot nine days old. It keeps the same as fresh if they simmer a while.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.