Prep 15 mins
Cook 336 hrs
Another different way to have coleslaw. A lighter version than using mayonnaise based dressings. This comes from a friend who got it from her sister who got it from??
- 1 1⁄4 cups white vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons mustard seeds
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 cabbage (small)
- 2 carrots
- 1 onion
- Boil together all the dressing ingredients until sugar is dissolved.
- Allow to cool.
- Shred cabbage and carrots.
- Finely chop onion and add to cabbage and carrots and toss together.
- Pour over cooled dressing and toss thoroughly many times.
- Place in a bowl with lid and keep in fridge.
- This ready mixed salad keeps for up to 14 days in fridge.
- NOTE: Cooking time is keeping time.
My mother has had this recipe since the 70's. It hasn't been made too often, but I love the flavour of this salad (I think it's the tumeric that I like). The last time I made this, I boiled the dressing ingredients and then threw in the veggies and let them wilt a little bit so I could pack it into the jar tighter. Yummy.
I did everything wrong and it's still a great cole slaw recipe! I forgot to cook the dressing, just poured it over the slaw after mixing it and I used cole slaw mix in a bag. I did refrigerate it overnight, and it has such a good taste. I used Splenda instead of sugar and it was still good. Jen T thanks for a recipe I will use often.