Recipe by Jen T
Another different way to have coleslaw. A lighter version than using mayonnaise based dressings. This comes from a friend who got it from her sister who got it from??
Top Review by L. Davenport
My mother has had this recipe since the 70's. It hasn't been made too often, but I love the flavour of this salad (I think it's the tumeric that I like). The last time I made this, I boiled the dressing ingredients and then threw in the veggies and let them wilt a little bit so I could pack it into the jar tighter. Yummy.
- 1 1⁄4 cups white vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons mustard seeds
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 cabbage (small)
- 2 carrots
- 1 onion
Directions See How It's Made
- Boil together all the dressing ingredients until sugar is dissolved.
- Allow to cool.
- Shred cabbage and carrots.
- Finely chop onion and add to cabbage and carrots and toss together.
- Pour over cooled dressing and toss thoroughly many times.
- Place in a bowl with lid and keep in fridge.
- This ready mixed salad keeps for up to 14 days in fridge.
- NOTE: Cooking time is keeping time.