1 hr 15 mins
Halcyon Eve's Note:
I got the basis of this recipe from my mom, who got it from my grandmother (her mother-in-law). The original was the same as A 14-Carat Carrot Cake, but I've cut back on the fat. You could also cut back on the sugar by using Splenda or something; I just dislike the taste of it, myself, so I don't use it. It can be made either as a layer cake (about 8-10 servings) or a sheet cake (about 14-18 servings); I usually make a sheet cake since it gives more servings, so that is the serving info given. Time doesn't include cooling time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened applesauce
- 4 large eggs
- 2 cups grated carrots (about 1 large or 2 small carrots)
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts (optional)
- 1 (8 3/4 ounce) can crushed pineapple in juice, drained
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1Preheat oven to 350°F Grease 3 9-inch round cake pans or a 9x13 inch rectangular baking pan.
- 2To make cake, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon.
- 3Add sugar, applesauce, and eggs. Mix well.
- 4Stir in carrot, nuts, and pineapple.
- 5Turn batter out into cake pan(s). Bake in center of oven at 350°F for 35-40 minutes for round pans, or about 45-50 minutes for rectangular pan (cake should be set in middle and shrink from pan at edges a bit).
- 6Cool a few minutes in pans. Remove to wire racks to cool completely (you may keep it in the rectangular pan if you plan to frost the top only and serve it from the pan).
- 7Meanwhile, make cream cheese frosting.
- 8Combine butter, cream cheese, and vanilla; beat well.
- 9Add sifted sugar gradually, beating well after each addition.
- 10If too thick, thin a little with milk to spreading consistency.
- 11When cake is completely cool, frost with cream cheese frosting. Leftovers should be refrigerated (due to cream cheese in frosting).
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for 14-Carat Cake With Cream Cheese Frosting (Lower Fat Version)
Serving Size: 1 (144 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 14
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 448.5
- Calories from Fat 100
- Total Fat 11.1 g
- Saturated Fat 6.4 g
- Cholesterol 86.9 mg
- Sodium 389.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 83.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.5 g
- Sugars 63.7 g
- Protein 5.7 g