Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is our favorite meatloaf recipe. I finally worked out one that I liked. Many years ago when our kids were growing up, our son asked me one day why I was making meatloaf so often. I told him that I was trying to find one that I liked. He said he liked them all. After I put this one together and we had it for dinner, I thought right away “This is the one!” When I changed from ketchup to chili sauce, it made all the difference. This is a small meatloaf, as we are seniors now, and just the two of us left at home. It would be easy to double the recipe if you need a larger meatloaf. Adjust the baking time however.
- Preheat oven to 325°F (yes 325°F).
- Whisk together the egg, chili sauce, milk and Worcestershire sauce.
- Stir in the onion and bell pepper.
- Crumble the ground beef over the mixture, and sprinkle with the salt, pepper and garlic powder.
- Stir all together with spoon.
- Add the crumbled crackers and mix well with hands.
- Form into a loaf and place in the perforated top portion of a meatloaf pan.
- Set into the bottom pan.
- Smooth the top and then spread a thin layer, about 1 TB, of chili sauce evenly over the top.
- Bake for one hour.
Loved your story. Loved your meatloaf! I did double the recipe. Thank you!
My boyfriend said this meatloaf is better than his mom's! He's an old farm boy so I took that as a true compliment. I doubled the recipe and used a Tbs of wortestshire sauce. Instead of garlic powder, I used minced garlic- about a teaspoon. The chili sauce made it a bit sweet with some nice heat. It definitely is not your momma's meatloaf. Wonderful!
My whole family and I agree that this is the best meatloaf we've ever had. I used ground turkey for part of the beef, and did not add chili sauce to the mix, only layered sauce on top. Thank you for this great recipe!