A crock pot version of 13 bean soup. Super easy & super yummy! I buy the 13 bean soup mix in the bulk section of my supermarket. It contains the 13 varieties of dry beans as follows: Baby limas, large limas, garbanzo, great northern, black-eyed peas, navy, black, red pinto, red lentils, green lentils, yellow splits, green splits, and kidney beans. Even my toddler had fun eating this soup. It was almost like watching a kid sort their M&M candies into colors! We took the opportunity to teach her the name of each bean as she picked it out to eat. Be sure to plan ahead, as the beans need to soak overnight or for 8 hours before cooking. (Cook time noted includes soaking time.) *Update December 2011: Since hosting the January 2011 Soupfest tag game in the Topic of the Month forum I have been using Sharon123's recipe for homemade Herb & Garlic broth (link in ingredients section) instead of just plain water as the soup base. It's absolutely delicious and so easy to make and store in the freezer. Feel free to use that recipe or any other broth for some or all of the water in the soup (not for soaking the beans).
- bean soup mix (2 cups of 13 bean soup mix)
- 6 cups water
- 1 cup ham, cooked & diced
- 2 leeks, sliced (white part only)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 carrots, chopped (or 8 baby carrots cut in thirds)
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 6 cups water (*or substitute some broth for part of the water. I always keep some Herb and Garlic Broth-Aigo Bouido in the freezer an)
- Place beans in a colander and sort through them, picking out any rocks or debris. Rinse the beans with water and then drain the water away.
- Place beans in crock pot and add the 6 cups of water. Put the lid on the crock pot (but don't turn it on) and leave the beans to soak in the cold water overnight or for at least 8 hours.
- Pour the beans and water into the colander. Rinse gently, drain and return beans to the crock pot.
- Add the rest of the ingredients to the crock pot and stir to combine.
- Set the crock pot on LOW and cook for 3-5 hours or until beans and veggies are soft.
- Serve with fresh garlic bread and enjoy!