Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a recipe that my grandmother passed on to my mom and me. We use it for a birthday cake, or put jam between the layers (if you make it into layers) and frost it with white icing.
- 1 cup butter or 1 cup margarine
- 2 cups white sugar
- 3 cups flour (all purpose)
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla or 1 teaspoon lemon flavoring
- Cream butter, adding sugar gradually, beat in eggs one by one.
- Sift dry ingredients together and add to first mixture alternately with milk and flavouring.
- Bake in greased loaf pan or 9" round or square pan.
- Bake one hour or until a toothpick comes out dry when inserted into centre of cake. Bake in 350 degree oven.
If you put the batter into a loaf pan, as mentioned in the recipe, use 2 loaf pans or the biggest loaf pan in the world. I used one loaf pan, and as the cake rose, it spilled out half of the batter in my oven.
This tastes great! I have used this recipe and turned it into a pineapple upside cake. Yummy!
This is very similar to a cake my mom made for our family. It is easy and tastes great. We had it plain and with a milk chocolate frosting.