Recipe by Chef burnt toast
This is a recipe that my grandmother passed on to my mom and me. We use it for a birthday cake, or put jam between the layers (if you make it into layers) and frost it with white icing.
Top Review by angelfan
I use a sheet cake pan for this, The cake is very flavorful. One thing watch it close the last few minuets of baking, Use the knife method to test it, Insert a knife half way to the center, if it is clean the cake is done, I also like to use a brown sugar icing for this.,
- 1 cup butter or 1 cup margarine
- 2 cups white sugar
- 3 cups flour (all purpose)
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla or 1 teaspoon lemon flavoring
Directions See How It's Made
- Cream butter, adding sugar gradually, beat in eggs one by one.
- Sift dry ingredients together and add to first mixture alternately with milk and flavouring.
- Bake in greased loaf pan or 9" round or square pan.
- Bake one hour or until a toothpick comes out dry when inserted into centre of cake. Bake in 350 degree oven.