Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
I love to make a big tray of these and keep them in the freezer for quick dinners, or pull them out and take them to work for lunch, they microwave great. I had hesitations about the cinnamon in this recipe, but it's fantastic, I absolutely love the flavor! This recipe makes 18 pieces, I normally eat 2 per meal.
- 2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1 cup Bulgar wheat
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- plain yogurt (optional)
- Soak bulgur wheat in a bowl in hot tap water. Let sit 10 minutes or so, and then drain.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, add ground beef, onion, salt and cinnamon. Add the bulgur after draining. Use your hands to combine the ingredients thoroughly.
- Lightly grease a baking sheet with oil.
- Take 1/3 cup portions of meat and press into small hamburger type patties. Place on sheet. Bake for about 20 minutes, until cooked through.
- Serve with plenty of plain yogurt!
This is a great quick recipe. The only thing I added that was not in the recipe was 1/2 tsp of allspice. yummy...
I am a Midwesterner, so did not grow up with "kibbee". However, when I met and married my third generation Lebanese-Syrian American husband, he introduced me to the kibbee his mother, grandmother, and great grandmother had made, all of which is expensive, time consuming and high caloric! This recipe gives you the flavor and is quick & convenient with the same taste but without all the calories & fuss. It does reheat great in the microwave! I used half lamb, half beef, and added some allspice. Be sure to mince the onion. I soaked the bulgur the night before and kept it in the fridge so it would be ready to mix when I got home. I think this would be great with the traditional pine nuts mixed in. Salut!