Recipe by Emjay99
Unexpected guests - no eggs in the fridge - and the promise of "real" caesar salad to our visitors is how this salad came about. Now, it's the only version we'll use! Omit the croutons and add grilled chicken or shrimp for a meal.
- 6 slices bacon
- 1⁄4 cup Miracle Whip light
- 1⁄2 cup low-fat mayonnaise
- 6 anchovy fillets
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups fresh mushrooms, wiped clean and sliced
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 cups French bread, cubed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- 170 g Baby Spinach, bagged and pre-washed
Directions See How It's Made
- BACON BITS: In a non stick frypan, fry bacon until all fat is rendered. Cool on paper towels then coarsely chop into bits and set aside.
- DRESSING: In a blender process until smooth the Miracle Whip, mayonnaise, anchovy filets, 4 minced cloves of garlic, worcestershire sauce, Dijon mustard, lemon juice, 3 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese and the 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil. Pour into container and refrigerate until ready to use.
- MUSHROOMS: Heat 1 tablespoon oil and saute mushrooms lightly - set aside.
- CROUTONS: Heat oil on low and add 2 minced garlic cloves. Toss cubed bread with garlic oil and 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese. Place in 350 degree oven until lightly toasted.
- THE SALAD: In a large salad bowl toss the spinach with as much of the dressing as you prefer. Season with freshly ground black pepper. Add the bacon bits - sauted mushrooms - and croutons. Extra grated Parmesan cheese can also be added.