Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
This came from CDKitchen and makes a nice gift!
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 1 tablespoon onion salt
- 1 teaspoon celery salt
- 1 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon ground oregano
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon basil leaves, crushed
- 1 teaspoon marjoram leaves, crushed finely
- Combine all ingredients as listed in a small jar with a tight fitting lid (baby food jars work good). Shake mixture to combine. Stores for months. Keep out of direct sunlight, heat and humidity.
- (makes about 1/3 cup)
- To Use:
- Mix together 4 teaspoons mixture, 1 cup flour, 2 Tbls. packed light brown sugar and 1 teaspoons salt. Place in a doubled plastic food bag and add chicken to coat. Fry, drain on paper towels, serve!
I love this mixture, it's not exactly like KFC but it's delicious. I also found it to be a little too sweet for my liking the first time I tried it so I put a tablespoon of brown sugar and a tablespoon of salt into the mix and it's just right. Thanks for the recipe!
you got some things right like some of the spices, but mostly this recipe is wrong. firstly, you have to add eggs to the chicken so the mixture can stick to it so why didnt you include that. secondly, the spice mixture doesnt taste strong at all like KFC's, so im guessing theres an error in the mixing quantities.
This is missing ONE key ingredient. A couple of weekends ago I made my version of Panera Bread's Fuji Apple chicken salad (still perfecting the dressing - but close). In preparing everything and taking my first bite, the grilled chicken said a hint of KFC original recipe!
OK... here's the skinny. I seasoned the organic chicken breast with Lawry's garlic salt, McCormick's onion salt, McCormick's Garlic Pepper and drum roll... McCormick's Ground Cardamom (a new $10 spice I bought after hearing it so often on cooking shows).
It HAS to be the cardamom. I've cooked with the others for YEARS and nothing remotely close to KFC. Now, I'm curious to find the 11 and try fried chicken. I worked @ KFC as a teen and the original is cooked in oil a closed pressure cooker, so I'll try it with my FryDaddy.
I have not tried this recipe and most reviews say it's not KFC. Try some combination that includes Cardamom. The spice itself, when you taste it gives nothing away regarding what it becomes when used with other spices and cooked. It tastes like Earl Gray tea/bergamot, actually.