Recipe by Marla in California
In looking for a good recipe (I saw several good ones)for a layered salad to take to a pot luck, I did not find exactly what I was looking for, so I decided to create my own. I used ideas from some of the recipes that I found here on Zaar.
- 1 1⁄2 heads iceberg lettuce (or any kind of lettuce you prefer)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped celery
- 1⁄3 cup chopped green onion
- 1 cup frozen green peas or 1 cup frozen peas and corn, thawed
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 3 chopped tomatoes
- 10 -12 slices bacon, well cooked
- 3 hard-boiled eggs, chopped
- 1 cup grated cheese, your preference (I used a combination of Jack and Cheddar)
Any other goodies that you like
- green peppers or olives or garbanzo beans
- 3 cups mayonnaise
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Chop 1 head of the lettuce and place in a big salad bowl.
- Chop other vegetables and eggs and place in layers on lettuce.
- Layer the 1/2 of the chopped bacon and shredded cheese.
- Chop the other 1/2 head of lettuce and place on top of the other layers.
- Mix together dressing ingredients and"ice" the salad.
- Top with remaining bacon and cheese.
- Cover and chill for several hours before serving.
- Just before serving, toss well to mix all the ingredients with the dressing.