Prep 45 mins
Cook 12 mins
This is a very easy recipe for a healthy alternative to pizza made with white flour. White flour converts to sugar and then to fat in your body, However, 100% whole wheat products do not convert to sugar then fat in the same way and make it a much healthier option. This recipe take 45-60 minutes from beginning to end.
- 591.47 ml whole wheat flour (100% whole wheat)
- 473.18 ml mozzarella cheese
- 4.92 ml yeast (1 packet)
- 4.92 ml sugar
- 236.59 ml water (very warm)
- 4.92 ml salt
- 4.92 ml garlic powder (optional)
- 59.16-73.94 ml olive oil
- pizza toppings
- First and foremost, if you have a pizza stone, put it in your oven and preheat your oven to 475 degrees fahrenheit.
- The homemade dough is the key - its pretty simple. All you need is to
- 1. put a yeast packet (1tsp) into a 1 cup measuring cup.
- 2. add 1 tsp of sugar and
- 3. 1/4 cup of very very warm water.
- Mix well and Let this rise for 10 minutes or until the foam reaches the top of the cup.
- While this is rising, put
- 1. 1-1/2 cups of flour into a mixer (like a kitchenaid) along with.
- 2. 1/2 tsp of salt and.
- 3. 1/2 tsp of garlic salt (optional) and then.
- 4. 3 tbsp of olive oil.
- Mix them in the blender until you see little tiny balls of dough, then wait for the yeast mixture to be done. When the yeast mixture reaches the top of the cup (from earlier) dump the entire contents into the mixer bowl and mix.
- While this is mixing, fill the measuring cup up with 3/4 cup of very very warm water and dump into the mixing bowl.
- Let everything mix until the dough has a smooth textured look to it.
- NOW, add flour until the dough pulls away in bulk from the edges of the bowl (this should be 3/4 - 1 cup of flour). Remove dough from the beater blade and form into a ball on a floured surface. Be sure that the dough is no longer sticky before you you form it.
- If you own a Pizza paddle (you can find them at kitchen stores for $10), then coat the paddle very thoroughly with corn meal. Form the shape of your pizza or calzone shell on the counter prior to placing it on the paddle. If you do not own a pizza paddle, you can take the stone out of the oven and form the dough on the stone, but be careful it is very hot. The idea of the pizza paddle is to have enough corn meal on it that whether you are forming a pizza, you put all the goodies on it or in it, open the oven and swiftly slide it onto the stone.
- cook the pizza for 12 minutes with all the toppings that you desire and viola- a delicious dinner for the family, and it is fun. From beginning to end, it takes me about 45-50 minutes. I DO NOT let the dough rise after it is formed- it is NOT necessary.
- If you do not own a pizza stone, BUY ONE- they are worth every penny!