1/2 Photos of 100% Whole Wheat Pizza Dough and Pizza Tips
Red Apple Guy's Note:
A less hydrated version of Peter Reinhart's 100% Whole Grain Pizza Dough as presented in "Artisan Breads Every Day". Suprisingly good dough for a whole wheat pizza.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 5 1/2 cups whole wheat flour (24 oz or 680g, I use hard spring wheat flour)
- 2 tablespoons honey (or 1.5 oz or 43 g sugar)
- 2 teaspoons salt (0.5 oz or 14 g, less volume if using coarse salt)
- 1 teaspoon instant yeast (0.11 oz or 3 g)
- 2 1/8 cups water (17 oz or 482 g, Reinhart uses 2.25 cups or 18 oz or 539 g)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil (1.5 oz or 43 g)
- 1Mix all ingredients with a spoon for about 1 minute or use paddle on electric mixer for 1 minute.
- 2Rest for 5 minutes to hydrate dough. Cover while resting.
- 3Mix by hand or with dough hook on electric mixer for 5 to 6 minutes.
- 4Using a little oil on the counter and hands scrape onto counter and stretch by pulling on the bottom of the dough until a rectangle about 1/3 as thick as the dough is formed. Stretch and fold the dough as you would a letter. Do the same with the ends until a folded package is formed. Turn over and pull the dough to the bottom forming a smooth ball.
- 5Using a dough scraper or knife, cut and weigh our 5 equal pieces about 8 oz. each or 227 g.
- 6Form each piece into a ball.
- 7Spray with oil and place each piece into a plastic sandwich bag or freezer bag that has also been sprayed inside with oil.
- 8Rest overnight (or up to 4 days in the fridge) or freeze for up to several months.
- 9Thaw frozen dough in the fridge for a day before cooking.
- 10On baking day, set out desired number of bags, remove from the bags onto an oiled pan or work surface. Gently press into discs, spray with oil and cover with oiled plastic.
- 11Preheat oven with pizza stone to 500F or slightly more if possible.
- 12Prepare toppings.
- 13Using flour, shape the dough using gravity and your knuckels, rotate and strech until desired size is reached (10 to 12 inches). It should be thicker along the rim and thin, but not paper thin.
- 14Place on parchment paper and add sauce, cheese and toppings.
- 15Place on stone and bake until cheese is bubbly and crust is browned. This will take 7 to 8 minutes at 500°F.
- 16Tip: Use canned whole peeled plum tomatoes deseeded, salted, slightly mixed with immersion blender and strained of some water for the sauce. Pinch of sugar helps remove any bitterness and provides correct consistency. Don't cook sauce.
Browse Our Top Low Cholesterol Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Low Cholesterol Recipes
Nutritional Facts for 100% Whole Wheat Pizza Dough and Pizza Tips
Serving Size: 1 (63 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 15
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 182.8
- Calories from Fat 34
- Total Fat 3.8 g
- Saturated Fat 0.5 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 312.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 34.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.7 g
- Sugars 2.4 g
- Protein 5.9 g