1/2 Photos of 100% Whole Wheat Irish Soda Bread
Becky #7's Note:
I just tried this recipe for the first time, and I immediately wanted to put it online so that I would always be able to find it. It's from La Leche League's cookbook, _Whole Foods for the Whole Family_. Of course a whole wheat bread is always different from a white flour bread, but I was amazed at how well this recipe captures the taste and texture of Irish soda bread. It's dense and crumbly and a bit sweet, and very delicious. It's also quite easy to make. It's a "quick bread" recipe -- no yeast, no rising -- but you shape it into round loaves, and it feels more "bread-y" to me than most quick breads. I can't wait to make it again. Enjoy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 cups whole wheat flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup butter (4 tablespoons)
- 1 1/4 cups raisins or 1 1/4 cups currants
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 3/4 cups low-fat buttermilk (or substitute 1 1/2 C plain yogurt and 1/4 C milk)
- 1 tablespoon molasses or 1 tablespoon honey
- 1In a big mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder, soda, and salt.
- 2Cut in butter until it reaches a coarse meal consistency. (I started with two knives, then finished the process with my fingers.).
- 3Add raisins.
- 4Combine liquids separately. Add liquids to dry ingredients.
- 5Mix until a soft dough forms. At some point it will become hard to stir it, and it will be better to use your hands. Kneading the dough is the best way to combine all the ingredients completely -- knead it gently until it is smooth (about 3 minutes). You can knead it right there in the mixing bowl.
- 6Shape the dough into two balls, and place them on a greased cookie sheet. Flatten each ball slightly and cut an X about 1/4" deep in the top of each loaf.
- 7Bake at 375 for 35 minutes.
Browse Our Top Quick Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for 100% Whole Wheat Irish Soda Bread
Serving Size: 1 (1242 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1444.4
- Calories from Fat 303
- Total Fat 33.7 g
- Saturated Fat 17.6 g
- Cholesterol 162.5 mg
- Sodium 2818.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 264.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 29.0 g
- Sugars 70.5 g
- Protein 44.9 g