Prep 0 mins
Cook 30 mins
I make this using King Arthur's White Whole Wheat flour (it's 100% whole grain wheat flour made with a hybrid white wheat instead of the red hard wheat, so it has all the nutrition but is not as dark or bitter). With the addition of 7-grain cereal it is hearty with a little crunch. Extra yeast, wheat gluten, and egg yolk (for lecithin) makes it soft and helps it rise nicely. Makes two loaves.
- 1 3⁄4 cups warm water (warm to touch not hot)
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon sugar (just enough to proof the yeast)
- 1⁄4 cup vital wheat gluten
- 2 egg yolks (the lecithin conditions the dough)
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup buttermilk (warmed)
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 5 1⁄2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1⁄2 cup grain cereal (7-grain)
- Place sugar and yeast in bowl with 1/2 the warmed water. Stir and let sit 5-10 minutes until foamy.
- In bowl of stand mixer add: remaining water, gluten, egg yolks, honey, olive oil, buttermilk, 2 cups of the flour, 7 grain cereal, and proofed yeast.
- Stir into batter, cover with towel, and let sit 30 minutes (will rise some).
- Place bowl onto stand mixer, add salt, and remaining flour 1/2 cup at a time -- mixing with paddle attachment until dough pulls away from sides and forms ball around the paddle.
- Scrape dough off paddle and replace with dough hook. Set on 2 and knead with dough hook x8 minutes. Cover with towel and allow to rise until doubled.
- Remove dough and divide in half. Form each half into a loaf and place into greased standard size loaf pan - push dough into corners and sides to form to pan. Spritz with pan spray (preferably olive or canola), cover with towel and let rise until 1 - 2 inches above top of pan.
- Place into pre-heated 350* oven and bake x30 minutes.
- Remove from pans, brush lightly with butter using paper towel to remove excess so dough does not get soggy, and place on cooling rack to cool.
- Cool at least 20-30 minutes before cutting (if you cut while really hot the crumb does not have time to set and will feel very heavy and sticky).