Recipe by Mims & Squims
Most whole wheat pancake recipes sneak in some refined flour, but not these! Great to make ahead and freeze for later.
Top Review by vonranzau
This recipe is really good! Like others, I didn't have everything: I added 3 tblspns of vinegar to 1 1/4 cups of milk; trying to watch sugar, I used coconut palm sugar, I used coconut oil instead of canola (didn't have canola); 3 whole eggs. I'm not sure if it's because of the coconut oil, but you don't need any butter on these pancakes !!! Soft and Moist... had frozen blueberries, added about 2 tblspns orange juice a little coconut palm sugar and cornstarch to thicken. Absolutely wonderful ! I like that this recipe can be modified according to health issues. Oh, and the flax made this much more healthy than it already is... like that you don't have to add regular flour ! Thank you Mims and Squims !!!
- 1 1⁄4 cups whole wheat flour
- 3 tablespoons egg whites
- 1 1⁄4 cups low-fat buttermilk
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder (heaping)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 cup canola oil
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons flax seed meal (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat non-stick skillet over medium heat.
- Using whisk, combine all ingredients until smooth.
- Pour approximately 1/4 c batter into skillet (form 5” circle).
- When edges begin to bubble and lift from skillet (about 2 minutes), flip pancakes.
- Cook both sides until golden brown.