Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This recipe yields 3 hearty loaves of bread Here is what I love about this recipe. It's simple, uses few ingredients and you have great results every time. Don't be afraid of making this bread! This is my own take on a recipe my sister-in-law shared with me. I played around with using different ingredients and have found that for a heartier loaf (perfect as a side to a homey soup) you can add oats. Also, ground flaxseed makes a healthy addition of Omega-3 fatty acids, as well as an extra dose of fiber. This bread is not too dense, but comes out soft enough for sandwiches and freezes extremely well. It makes awesome toast for any toast lovers too!
- 1 cup water (Warm)
- 2 tablespoons yeast
- 1 egg
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄3 cup honey
- 2 cups water
- 1⁄4 cup applesauce (plain)
- 7 -8 cups whole wheat flour
- Combine yeast and warm water and let sit for about 5-10 minutes. Add a pinch of sugar to hurry it along.
- Mix egg, salt, honey, water and applesauce in large bowl.
- Stir in 1-2 cups of flour until smooth.
- Add in foamy yeast mixture.
- Gradually add the rest of the flour, stirring with a wooden spoon until it becomes too difficult, and then begin to knead with both hands.
- Turn dough out onto floured counter-top and knead until dough become elastic and smooth, form into a ball.
- Grease large bowl and put dough in it, turning to coat it.
- Cover with a damp towel, leaving it on counter to rise, or cover and refrigerate to bake later.
- When well-risen (double its bulk-about 1 1/2 to 2 hours) turn out on counter, punch dough down and divide into three pieces. Roll each out into a long rectangle and roll up
- Place each roll up piece of dough into a greased bread pan and let rise for 45-60 minutes.
- Bake in oven at 350°F for exactly 30 minutes. Enjoy!
- Freeze warm bread i bread bags to lock in moistness. May freeze extra loaves for up to 2 months. A family of four can easily eat two loaves in a week and half, leaving you to give one away, without freezing any. Enjoy!
This recipe is easy and tasty! My kids loved it!
First time in a while I've made bread. This recipe is fantastic! Crusty and moist in the middle. I will be making this over and over again for me and my lads. Thank you for sharing.
I just tried this recipe for the first time today...I have not made a lot of bread in the past! This turned out amazing...it was so good; crusty on the outside and soft and flavourful on the inside!!!
Next time I will use a smaller pan as the loaves could have rose a bit higher.