This recipe yields 3 hearty loaves of bread Here is what I love about this recipe. It's simple, uses few ingredients and you have great results every time. Don't be afraid of making this bread! This is my own take on a recipe my sister-in-law shared with me. I played around with using different ingredients and have found that for a heartier loaf (perfect as a side to a homey soup) you can add oats. Also, ground flaxseed makes a healthy addition of Omega-3 fatty acids, as well as an extra dose of fiber. This bread is not too dense, but comes out soft enough for sandwiches and freezes extremely well. It makes awesome toast for any toast lovers too!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Combine yeast and warm water and let sit for about 5-10 minutes. Add a pinch of sugar to hurry it along.
- 2Mix egg, salt, honey, water and applesauce in large bowl.
- 3Stir in 1-2 cups of flour until smooth.
- 4Add in foamy yeast mixture.
- 5Gradually add the rest of the flour, stirring with a wooden spoon until it becomes too difficult, and then begin to knead with both hands.
- 6Turn dough out onto floured counter-top and knead until dough become elastic and smooth, form into a ball.
- 7Grease large bowl and put dough in it, turning to coat it.
- 8Cover with a damp towel, leaving it on counter to rise, or cover and refrigerate to bake later.
- 9When well-risen (double its bulk-about 1 1/2 to 2 hours) turn out on counter, punch dough down and divide into three pieces. Roll each out into a long rectangle and roll up
- 10Place each roll up piece of dough into a greased bread pan and let rise for 45-60 minutes.
- 11Bake in oven at 350°F for exactly 30 minutes. Enjoy!
- 12Freeze warm bread i bread bags to lock in moistness. May freeze extra loaves for up to 2 months. A family of four can easily eat two loaves in a week and half, leaving you to give one away, without freezing any. Enjoy!
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for 100% Whole Wheat Bread-Low Fat and Good!
Serving Size: 1 (1811 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1132.3
- Calories from Fat 83
- Total Fat 9.2 g
- Saturated Fat 1.8 g
- Cholesterol 62.0 mg
- Sodium 1210.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 240.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 32.4 g
- Sugars 32.1 g
- Protein 42.4 g