Abbey of Our Lady of the Holy Trinity. For years the monks made and sold their special brand of whole wheat bread. In recent years it became necessary to discontinue this industry. However, the monk who for many years was the baker has developed a recipe for home owners to bake their own whole wheat bread from the 2-grain cereal now produced at the monastery
- In saucepan, heat milk not to boiling.
- Remove from heat and add sugar, salt and 1/4 cup butter, stir until blended.
- Cool to lukewarm.
- Sprinkle yeast over water in large bowl.
- Stir to dissolve yeast- stir in lukewarm milk mixture.
- Add 4 cups whole wheat flour, beat vigorously with wooden spoon until smooth.
- Gradually add remainder of whole wheat flour.
- Mix in last of it with hands until dough is stiff Turn dough out onto lightly floured surface.
- Knead dough for about 5 minutes until dough is smooth and has some elasticity.
- Place in greased large bowl.
- Turn dough so greased side is up.
- Cover with towel; let rise in warm place (85F is good), until it doubles in size, about an hour.
- Turn dough again on floured surface.
- Divide into halves.
- Cover about 10 minutes.
- Cut each of the two halves into two pieces.
- Roll each piece into about a 12 inch strip.
- Twist two strips together.
- Repeat the process.
- Roll into a ball to fit into a 9x5x2-3/4 greased pan.
- Mold evenly into pan.
- Repeat process with remaining two pieces.
- Brush tops of two loaves with a little butter, margarine or oil.
- Let the two loaves rise in a warm place until dough rises to tops of pans- about an hour.
- Preheat oven 400F.
- Bake in middle of oven for 35- 40 minutes.
- Turn out pans onto racks, brush top with melted butter.
- Makes 2 loaves.