Top Review by andreaadams01
This is a delicious recipe for whole wheat bread. I halved it but needed to add extra flour - it took about 9 cups total. Half the recipe made two loaves and a dozen buns. Thank you for posting!
- 2⁄3 cup water
- 3 (1/16 ounce) packets dry active yeast
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 8 cups milk, Scalded
- 2⁄3 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup molasses
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 12 cups whole wheat flour
Directions See How It's Made
- Dissolve yeast in 2/3 c water while your milk is cooling.
- Dissolve 1 cup sugar in the hot milk.
- Stir all ingredients in large bowl, turn out and knead about 5 minutes, adding flour if needed.
- Knead about 5 minutes.
- Let rise until doubled in bulk, about 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
- Knead down and shape into 6 loaves, let rise until doubled in pans.
- Bake at 375°F for 40 minutes.
- Turn out on wire rack and let cool to cold before slicing, if you can.
- NOTE: Raisins and/or walnuts can be added for a change.
- This bread freezes well.