Recipe by Dotty2
This bread is made with ground up wheat using a wheat grinder and the Bosch machine. I'm sure any kitchen mixer (with dough hook) could be used. This is the recipe I make all the time (and have for the past 15 years). A grinding machine does pay for itself in more ways than one. One bushel of wheat will buy about 3 to 4 loaves of bread or you could grind your own wheat and make 65-70 loaves of nutrious whole wheat bread. and the taste MMMMM
Top Review by Diann <><
This was the best whole wheat recipe I've tried. Thank you Dotty! Used 8 1/2 cups red hard wheat 1/2 cup white soft wheat and 1/2 cup millet. Popped it into the nutrimill and was just the right amount of flour. Used vital wheat gluten w/vitamin c in place of the bread enhancer. Not sure if they are the same thing or not. Ended up with 5 loaves of bread froze one as dough & 2 loaves for later in the week. 3/4 of a loaf was gone in one meal!
- 8 -9 cups wheat
- 3 tablespoons oil (canola is best)
- 4 1⁄2 cups warm water (80 degrees, tepid)
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons instant yeast (rounded)
- 2 tablespoons bread enhancer (rounded)
- 1 tablespoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Grind 8 or 9 cups of wheat in the kitchen mill.
- (Add about 1/2 cup millet and 1/2 cup flax seed).
- Put oil, water, dough enhancer and honey into bosch bowl.
- Jog (or pulse) a few times to mix.
- Add approximately 6 cups of flour and jog to moisten the flour.
- Add yeast and salt.
- If you would like to add whole grains (eg millet or flax) add them at this time instead of grinding it with the flour at the beginning.
- Start machine gradually adding flour and let it moisten before adding more.
- You have added enough flour when the dough begins to leave the bottom of the bowl.
- The sides will clean as it kneads.
- Knead 7 to 10 minutes.
- Remove and shape into 4 loaves.
- (8"x4" greased pans).
- Cover with tea towel and plastic sheet.
- Let rise until double in volume, approximately 20 to 25 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°F-375°F and bake for 30 minutes.
- The bread is done when it clearly leaves the sides of the pan and the loaf sounds hollow when you tap the bottom with your finger.
- Place on a cooling rack.
- Prep time includes standing time.
- Note: dough enhancer can usually be purchased where you purchase the wheat or possibly at a health food store.