Prep 40 mins
Cook 35 mins
This is my take on Reinhart's master recipe in Whole Grain Breads. I make 4 loaves of this a week, currently.
- 2 2⁄3 cups whole wheat flour (341 g, I use fresh ground wheat berries)
- 9 ounces water (255 g room temperature)
- 3⁄8 teaspoon instant yeast (1.5 g)
- 2 2⁄3 cups whole wheat flour (341 g)
- 1 1⁄4 cups water (297 g room temperature)
- 1 teaspoon table salt (6 g fine salt)
- 2⁄3 cup whole wheat flour (85 g)
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons table salt (7.5 g fine salt)
- 1 tablespoon instant yeast (10.5.5 g)
- 2 tablespoons oil (or soft butter, 21 g)
- 1⁄4 cup honey (64 g)
- .Mix the biga ingredients, cover and let rest for 1 hour at room temperature. Then, refrigerate for 3 to 18 hours.
- Mix the soaker, cover and rest for 4 to 19 hours.
- To make the bread, warm the biga at room temperature or in low heat (<100F) until room temperature.
- Spread the biga on a floured counter and layer the soaker over that. Cut dough into 12 pieces and add to mixing bowl.
- Add the remaining ingredients and mix and knead for 7 - 8 minutes. Rest for 5 minutes and knead for 1 to 2 more minutes until a moderate windowpane is achieved.
- Do a stretch and fold. On a lightly floured counter, stretch the dough into a rectangle and fold it like a letter going into an envelope. Turn 90 deg and fold again. Invert and place in an oiled bowl or straight sided clear container.
- Rest for 20 minutes and do another stretch and fold and return to container.
- After the dough has risen to one and a half times it's original volume (30 to 45 more minutes), turn out onto a floured counter.
- Shape into loaves and pan. Let rise, covered with oiled plastic, for 45 minutes or so or until loaves are risen to 150% of their volume.
- Bake in preheated 375F oven until 190-200F internally, about 35-40 minutes. Cool on rack before slicing.
Improved texture and flavor slightly compared the making whole grain recipes that can be done in 4 hours.... BUT not by much. It's still taste like whole grain bread.