Prep 5 mins
Cook 3 hrs 20 mins
This is a basic semolina bread which is ideal for vegetarian/vegan diets. Recipe is for a 2 lb loaf in a bread machine.
- 2 3⁄4 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1 5⁄8 cups warm water
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 4 cups semolina (Bob's Red Mill (1.5 lbs)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 3⁄4 teaspoons salt
- Mix the salt into the warm water (120F-130F) and pour into the bread machine pan. Next, add the olive oil, flour, sugar and the yeast last (may be place into a little indentation in the center of the flour). If necessary, add 1/2 teaspoon ascorbic acid (Vitamin C) to help the yeast feed.
- Set the bread machine to a 2 lb size and white light, white medium, white dark, whole wheat or french settings.
- Push start and come back in 3 1/3 to 4 hours. :-).
Made the dough in the bread machine and baked 4 round loaves on a pizza stone for some nice artisan bread. The secret to a great crust is using a water spray bottle to create steam during the first 10 min. of baking.
Wow! With a diabetic in the family, this opens all kinds of possibilities - bread pudding, french toast, etc. I don't have a bread machine so I just mixed it the way I do regular bread, let it rise, put it in a greased loaf pan, let it rise again and baked it at 350 for 38 minutes. It's got a nice texture and mild taste and was super easy to make. This will become a staple in our household.
Oh YUM! I tried this because we have cut white flour from our diet and are eating low GI (and have lost lots of weight). This bread is delicious. I make it again and again and share it with co-workers. They love it too. It's a beautiful colour too! Thank you!