1/2 Photos of 100% Honey Whole Wheat/Cracked Wheat Bread
1 hr 30 mins
This recipe is adapted from The El Molino Cookbook that I've had for a million years!This has the potential to make 3 loaves and is the ONLY recipe I use for whole wheat bread.It is the moistest I've ever had and because honey is a natural preservative it has a longer shelf life. You can add a little more honey and make amazing dinner rolls or cinnamon rolls.The cookbook states "the same natural ingredients but a new improved method that gives a higher, lighter loaf." Yes, this rises 3 times! I use the quick acting yeast and am able to make 9 loaves in a day without stressing out.You can substitute about a cup of the whole wheat flour with a cup of white bread flour but I rarely do.Enjoy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup warm water (110-115 degrees)
- 2 (1/4 ounce) packages fast-rising active dry yeast
- 1 cup milk, scalded and cooled to 110 degrees
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/4 cup oil
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 eggs
- 5 1/2-6 cups stone ground whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup cracked wheat, softened in 1 c hot water for 1 hour
- 1In the bowl of your electric mixer (I use a KitchenAid ) dissolve yeast in warm water. Add milk, honey, oil, salt and eggs. Mix until blended.
- 2Add 2 1/2 cups of the flour and beat for 3 to 4 minutes. Cover bowl with plastic wrap or a warm towel and allow sponge to rise in a warm place until doubled in bulk, about 30 minutes.
- 3Mix in remaining flour reserving 1/2 C for kneading. At this point you may add the softened cracked wheat if desired. This may seem a little stickier than you may be used to but as long as your fingers don't stick in the dough you have the right amount of flour.
- 4Turn out onto floured board or counter top or use the dough hook from your mixer. Knead for 8 to 10 minutes until elastic and smooth.
- 5Put in a large buttered bowl and let rise in warm place until doubled in bulk.
- 6Punch dough down. On lightly floured board or counter top divide into 3 equal portions. Shape into loaves and place in buttered loaf pans approximately 8" X 4".
- 7Cover and let rise for the third time until doubled in bulk.
- 8Bake at 375 degrees for 30 - 35 minutes. The bread tests done when the crust make a hollow sound when tapped.
- 9Remove from pans and brush with melted butter. Cover with a hot damp towel to soften crust if desired.
Browse Our Top Rolls/Biscuits Recipes
Nutritional Facts for 100% Honey Whole Wheat/Cracked Wheat Bread
Serving Size: 1 (815 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 422.9
- Calories from Fat 224
- Total Fat 24.8 g
- Saturated Fat 5.3 g
- Cholesterol 152.3 mg
- Sodium 1644.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 43.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.2 g
- Sugars 31.1 g
- Protein 10.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
stone ground whole wheat flour