Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Healthy, moist and not too sweet. I make it whenever we have people round and everyone seems to like it. It's quite filling so you only need a small slice.
- Soak the dried fruit in 2 cups boiling water for as long as possible (or overnight).
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Cover the dates with water in a saucepan and simmer for about 5 minutes until soft and toffeeish (adding more water is needed).
- Drain the fruit and mix with the dates (if you're not making it for children, you can add a splash of Cointreau or brandy if you want).
- Mix in the almonds and baking powder, adding a bit more water if the mixture seems too dry. Mix well then put in round cake tin.
- Bake about 1 1/2 hours or until a skewer comes out clean (check after an hour, will depend on size of tin, covering with foil after about 30 minutes.