Prep 3 mins
Cook 10 mins
I guess I should rephrase that. It's not just for single guys, or hot ones for that matter, I modified the quantity for a single person and made it more spicy. This is based on the 10 Minute TVP Tacos recipe posted by Queenkungfu http://www.recipezaar.com/10-Minute-Tvp-Tacos-289559 but modified, partly because I didn't have taco seasoning mix on hand, I wanted a "cooking for one" recipe, and I just can't seem to follow instructions. Aside from the water and TVP, quantities are approximate since I don't measure much.
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup textured vegetable protein, the ground beef granules style
- 1 teaspoon beef bouillon concentrate
- 1 teaspoon nutritional yeast flakes (optional)
- 1 tablespoon diced onion
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons taco seasoning (see instructions if you don't have any)
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne (adjust to taste) (optional)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1⁄8 cup red pepper, cut into 1 inch strips
- 4 slices medium onions, quartered
- 2 tablespoons taco sauce or 2 tablespoons salsa
- 1⁄4 cup cheddar cheese
- 2 cherry tomatoes
- 2 tortillas
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon cayenne (to taste)
- The taco seasoning ingredients are to be use if you don't have any pre-mixed taco seasoning, but if you do, then just omit them and add a bit more cayenne to taste. The taco seasoning ingredients will yield enough to make this recipe four times, so mix, measure 1/1/2 tsp and save the rest.
- Dump the water (adding a couple of teaspoons more water would be a good idea), diced onion, beef or vegetable boullion, tvp, spice and yeast flakes in a 1 quart sauce pan and heat on medium low heat, stirring continually until almost all the water is absorbed.
- Add the olive oil and sliced red peppers and onions, stirring continually and fry for a couple of minutes to just soften the onions.
- Add the salsa , stir to warm it up and remove from heat.
- This mix is enough to generously fill 2 10 inch flour tortillas.
- Cut the tomatoes in strips or dice them as a garnish, and sprinkle some cheese on top, then wrap it up and enjoy. You can also add shredded lettuce if you have some. I didn't.
Thanks for posting. I made a batch of this today for a taco salad in a fried tortilla cup. I didn't add the peppers and onion in the second step since I was not putting it in a taco. I needed to add more than 1 1/2 teaspoons of the taco seasoning, but maybe because I used a commercial one, not the one posted in the recipe. Great "taco" flavor, Urban Gourmet, I'll use it again.
This was really good. I this in taco salad. I also used the recipe for the taco seasoning. I found out at the last minute that I was out of paprika so left it out, but was still good. I know it will be even better the next time when I put the paprika in. I'm new to TVP so was thrilled to find a recipe for tacos using TVP. Thanks so much for sharing.