Recipe by Queenkungfu
A Jolinda Hackett recipe.his recipe uses store-bought salsa and taco seasoning to make a super-quick vegetarian taco filling from TVP. The TVP has a texture similar to shredded chicken when cooked. Wrap in a flour tortilla or stuff in a hard shell with lettuce, tomatoes, avocado, and green onions.
Top Review by JanuaryBride
Quick, easy, low calorie and inexpensive - and did I mention Vegan??!?!? Great recipe. I made 1/2 the recipe but ended up using the full 1/4 cup of salsa. I also added 1/4 cup of tomato sauce (my preference). Next time I will definitely saute up a little onion and garlic and add it to the mix. Hubby loved it too. Served it in blue corn crispy taco shells topped with Vegan Pepperjack cheese, some tomatoes, avocado and hot sauce. YUM. I have some leftovers as well which I plan to use in burritos tomorrow with beans, rice tomato, lettuce and guacamole. Thanks for sharing.
- 2 cups textured vegetable protein
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) package taco seasoning (one pack)
- 1 red pepper, cut into strips
- 1⁄4 cup salsa
- flour tortillas or taco shell
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large skillet, heat the water over medium heat, and add the TVP, stirring well. Allow the TVP to reconstitute for 2-3 minutes.
- Add oil and soy sauce, then peppers and taco seasoning, stirring well.
- Allow to cook for another 3-5 minutes, stirring frequently. Mix in salsa and remove from heat.
- Serve wrapped in a flour tortilla or hard taco shells with your choice of toppings.