Prep 5 mins
Cook 5 mins
A Jolinda Hackett recipe.his recipe uses store-bought salsa and taco seasoning to make a super-quick vegetarian taco filling from TVP. The TVP has a texture similar to shredded chicken when cooked. Wrap in a flour tortilla or stuff in a hard shell with lettuce, tomatoes, avocado, and green onions.
- 2 cups textured vegetable protein
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) package taco seasoning (one pack)
- 1 red pepper, cut into strips
- 1⁄4 cup salsa
- flour tortillas or taco shell
- In a large skillet, heat the water over medium heat, and add the TVP, stirring well. Allow the TVP to reconstitute for 2-3 minutes.
- Add oil and soy sauce, then peppers and taco seasoning, stirring well.
- Allow to cook for another 3-5 minutes, stirring frequently. Mix in salsa and remove from heat.
- Serve wrapped in a flour tortilla or hard taco shells with your choice of toppings.
Quick, easy, low calorie and inexpensive - and did I mention Vegan??!?!? Great recipe. I made 1/2 the recipe but ended up using the full 1/4 cup of salsa. I also added 1/4 cup of tomato sauce (my preference). Next time I will definitely saute up a little onion and garlic and add it to the mix. Hubby loved it too. Served it in blue corn crispy taco shells topped with Vegan Pepperjack cheese, some tomatoes, avocado and hot sauce. YUM. I have some leftovers as well which I plan to use in burritos tomorrow with beans, rice tomato, lettuce and guacamole. Thanks for sharing.
Great recipe!! I am new to using TVP and wanted something simple! This definitely fit the bill and was DELICIOUS!!!! I added onion that I sauteed with garlic before reconstituting the TVP. I also used a recipe for taco seasoning (taco-seasoning-66591) rather than a purchased mix. Delicious! Both of my kids loved them!! And did I say they were super quick?? Definitely a keeper!! Thanks again!!
Excellent recipe. I made up my on taco seasoning recipe to reduce sodium and omitted the red pepper. My son ate it and could tell the difference between the top and the turkey tacos I normally make him. This one is a keeper.