Recipe by Sandra E.
I came up with this while on a 30-Day Detox. I needed to be creative with foods that I was allowed (and not allowed), and this is what I've come up with. Amounts are approximate, I eyeballed everything. Cooking time and prep time does not include cooking rice as I use Plain Rice -- Make Ahead OAMC Throw It in the Freezer!! - #159839. Omit the shrimp or replace with tofu for a vegetarian dish. I have also substituted other veg for the broccoli. I have tried asparagus and red peppers. I think tonight I will have it with peas. Tip: Add a bit of water to deglaze the pan during cooking if the vinegar isn't enough or if things start to stick, I find it also helps distribute the flavours a bit.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄4 chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 pinch chili powder or 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- 1⁄2 cup shrimp, raw, peeled and cleaned
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup dainty short-grain brown rice, cooked
- 1 small head of broccoli, washed and chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook broccoli in a covered bowl with 2 tablespoons water for 2 min on high in microwave.
- Clean/peel shrimp if necessary.
- Cook rice if necessary, or micrawave frozen rice for 20 sec.
- Heat olive oil in a skillet.
- Cook onions until translucent.
- Add pinch of chilli pepper to oil.
- Add shrimp to pan and cook until they almost turn pink.
- Add minced garlic and toss.
- Throw in rice and toss.
- Add vinegar and broccoli and toss.
- Once everything is heated through, remove and throw in a bowl. (Don't let the rice/broccoli stay in the pan to long as the rice will start to stick and the broccoli will become over cooked.