I call this the 10 lb. lasagna because the ingredients total about 10 lbs. I have been practicing my lasagna recipe for years and this is what I have finally come up with. Note: This lasagna can be made the day before and baked the next day. Or you can make this lasagna and freeze to bake at a later time. (If you freeze, please remember to allow extra baking time.)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs ground Italian sausage (without casings)
- 1 lb mozzarella cheese
- 1 lb ricotta cheese
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
- 2 cups grated parmesan cheese
- lasagna noodle (boiled according to directions on box use 1-1/2 boxes)
- 2 (14 ounce) cans diced tomatoes (can use herb seasoned canned diced tomatoes)
- 1 (14 ounce) can tomato sauce
- olive oil
- 4 -5 garlic cloves (chopped or minced)
- 1 diced onion (large)
- 1 minced onion (med-large)
- italian seasoning
- wine (white or red)
- 1Tomato Sauce:.
- 2Heat a deep-sided skillet or stock pot and add about 1 teaspoon of olive oil. Add sausage and cook until just browned (3-4 minutes). Remove the meat from the skillet or pot and set aside. Adding at least another teaspoon of olive oil to the skillet or pot, sauté the 1 large diced onion and fresh minced or chopped garlic for a few minutes. Add the canned chopped tomatoes and tomato sauce to the skillet. Add browned Sausage to Tomatoes. Let tomato sauce come to a slight bubbling and turn heat down to simmer. Add at least 1 teaspoon (or more to taste) each of Italian seasoning, basil and sugar to the tomato sauce. Add several dashes of red or white wine for flavoring. Allow tomato sauce to simmer on medium to low heat, stirring occasionally, until tomato sauce is cooked down to about half the amount (about 30-45 minutes).
- 3Ricotta Cheese Mixture:.
- 4In a separate bowl mix together, ricotta cheese, 8 ounces mozzarella cheese, 1 cup parmesan cheese, 1 pkg. cream cheese, 1 med-large minced onion, 1 teaspoon basil. Set aside until ready to use.
- 6Using a large deep-sided baking dish or lasagna pan, layer 1/3 tomato sauce, lasagna noodles, ½ ricotta cheese mixture, continue layering until you have ended with tomato sauce.
- 7Sprinkle remaining mozzarella cheese and parmesan cheese on the top. Cover with foil and bake at 350 degrees until heated thoroughly and bubbling about 1 hour and 45 minutes. Take foil off and bake for another 15 minutes allowing cheese to lightly brown around the edges.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for 10 Lb. Lasagna
Serving Size: 1 (306 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 737.4
- Calories from Fat 492
- Total Fat 54.7 g
- Saturated Fat 26.8 g
- Cholesterol 153.3 mg
- Sodium 2174.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 18.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.1 g
- Sugars 7.2 g
- Protein 43.3 g