Prep 30 mins
Cook 8 hrs
I really did make up this recipe on my own, with the help of an Italian lady through emails. The mingling of the oil/spices is the key. We were really into Once a Month Cooking for awhile and this sauce is/was a hit.
- 102 ounces tomato sauce (#10 can)
- 1 1⁄4 lbs Italian sausage, casings removed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large white onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon minced bottled garlic
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 2 bay leaves
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- Brown sausage in pan, crumbling with spatula, until no pink remains. Drain and rinse. Put into a 5 quart crockpot.
- Saute onions and garlic in olive oil until translucent and golden but not brown. Add all the spices and mix well. Turn off the heat and let the spices mingle for about 10 minutes. The heat will let the oils release from the dried herbs.
- Add the tomato sauce and spice mixture to the meat in the crockpot and stir to mix. Cook on high for 1 hour and then low for 7-8 hours. Use over pasta.
- If freezing, cool sauce and pour into quart sized freezer bags. Remove all the air and place flat on a cookie sheet and put into freezer. When frozen, they will stand up like records in the freezer.