Cook2 hrs 30 mins
We made this without the smoked turkey and ham hock, and it was still heavenly. This was a great way to use the stock from turkey dinner. Recipe courtesy of Variety Pack Favorite Recipes From Jan and Norman. Serving size is estimated. Delicious!
- 1 lb beans (10 bean variety, lima beans, kidney beans, red beans, lentils, etc)
- onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 -2 tomato, chopped
- 1 tablespoon garlic
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 lb smoked turkey (cubed) or 1 lb smoked ham (cubed)
- 1 ham hock
- 3 1⁄2 quarts chicken stock
- Finely chop onion, red and green bell pepper, celery, carrot, tomatoes, and garlic.
- Rinse beans and drain.
- Add chicken stock.
- Stir in onion, bell peppers, celery, basil, carrot, tomatoes, garlic, and black pepper.
- Stir in ham hock and smoked turkey.
- Cover and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium.
- Uncover and simmer for 2 1/2 hours, until beans are tender.
- Remove ham hock and remove any meat from the bone and return to beans.