Recipe by AmyZoe
We made this without the smoked turkey and ham hock, and it was still heavenly. This was a great way to use the stock from turkey dinner. Recipe courtesy of Variety Pack Favorite Recipes From Jan and Norman. Serving size is estimated. Delicious!
Top Review by *Parsley*
Absolutely yummy! It's loaded with beans and veggies, so it's super hearty and filling, too. I made this as written with 8 oz of smoked turkey and skipped the ham hock. I agree that it's fine without the ham hock. I added a few drops of liquid hickory smoke just to get the flavor. This makes a nice big pot of soup and it's even better when reheated the next day. Thanx for sharing!
- 1 lb beans (10 bean variety, lima beans, kidney beans, red beans, lentils, etc)
- onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 -2 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 tablespoon garlic
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 lb smoked turkey (cubed) or 1 lb smoked ham (cubed)
- 1 ham hock
- 3 1⁄2 quarts chicken stock
Directions See How It's Made
- Finely chop onion, red and green bell pepper, celery, carrot, tomatoes, and garlic.
- Rinse beans and drain.
- Add chicken stock.
- Stir in onion, bell peppers, celery, basil, carrot, tomatoes, garlic, and black pepper.
- Stir in ham hock and smoked turkey.
- Cover and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium.
- Uncover and simmer for 2 1/2 hours, until beans are tender.
- Remove ham hock and remove any meat from the bone and return to beans.