Prep 10 hrs
Cook 3 hrs
Yes, another soup recipe! We really love a hot bowl of soup on a cold winter day for lunch. The challenge is keeping it low fat and healthy. This bean soup is fantastic! It makes alot and it freezes well. You can really use any favorite bean mixture (dry) or use your own! I buy the 10 Bean mix in bulk at a local grocery store. It also has some pearl barley thrown in there too!
- 2 cups 10 bean soup mix, dry
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans fat-free low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can vegetable broth
- 3 cups water
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes (with liquid)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 2 celery ribs, sliced
- 2 -3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup frozen green beans
- 1 cup frozen corn
- Soak beans in water overnight. Drain the beans the next morning or afternoon.
- In large soup pot saute onion, carrot, and celery in oil for about five minutes. Add garlic, salt, and pepper and saute another five minutes.
- Add chicken broth, vegetable broth, diced tomatoes, water, and beans to vegetable mixture.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a low boil and cover. Cook for about 2 hours. Stir occasionally.
- Add green beans and corn and contine to cook covered for about 1 more hour or until beans are tender.
- Prep time is soaking beans overnight and chopping vegetables.
The soup was really delicious. I cooked it in my slow cooker for 7 hours, but did sauté the carrots, celery, onion, and garlic before adding them with the bean mixture, tomatoes, vegetable and chicken broth. I added the frozen green beans and corn at the end when I re-heated it on the stove. My only suggestion is that the frozen green beans aren't necessary. I think they're superfluous to the recipe. However, the corn is good in it.