Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
The best sweet potato souffle I've ever ate. My mother-in-law gave me this recipe about 11 years ago. She had made it for a baby shower and while the games were going on I almost devoured the whole thing, LOL. Anyway, this is how we do it in our family, and not one Holiday, picnic, or family gathering goes without one.
For the Souffle
- 3 cups sweet potatoes, whipped with mixer
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 -2 teaspoon cinnamon or 1 -2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup coconut
- 1 cup of chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- For Souffle:.
- With mixer whip sweet potatoes, add butter, eggs, cinnamon, vanilla & sugar.
- Put in 9 x 13 pan & set aside.
- For topping:.
- In the order listed above (**this is a very important step to always remember) add the ingredients one at a time in a medium pan on low heat.
- Melt butter, add brown sugar, mix well (& at this point I usually turn the heat off), add flour, coconut & pecans.
- Immediately pour over the sweet potatoes and put in oven.
- Cook for 30-40 minutes, the souffle should not be jiggly in the middle, if so after 40 minutes add 5 minutes at a time until done. The topping should be golden.