Recipe by ElizabethKnicely
By: USA WEEKEND, Columnist Jean Carper "For health benefits, you can't top dried beans. They are rich in antioxidants and fiber and low glycemic, helping to control blood sugar. If you don't use no-salt-added beans, rinse to remove sodium."
- 14.79 ml canola oil
- 793.78 g boneless skinless chicken breasts or 793.78 g boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into chunks
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 236.59 ml sliced celery
- 236.59 ml thinly sliced carrot
- 709.77 ml no-salt-added diced tomatoes
- 403.98 g can reduced-sodium fat-free chicken broth
- 425.24 g can no-salt-added black beans
- 425.24 g can no-salt-added navy beans
- 425.24 g can no-salt-added kidney beans
- 236.59 ml dry red wine
- 1 bay leaf
- 14.79 ml mixed Italian herbs
- 236.59 ml smoked chicken breast, cubed
- 236.59 ml fresh Italian parsley, chopped
- 236.59 ml fresh cilantro, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in a large pot; brown chicken. Remove chicken and set aside. Sauté onions until soft, about 5 minutes. Add broth, beans, tomatoes, celery, carrots, wine, bay leaf, herbs and all the chicken; cover and simmer for about 40 minutes.
- Add parsley, cilantro, salt, and pepper, and simmer 5 more minutes.